Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes
Date: October 16, 2006
Present: Kelly Torres (Park Supervisor), Doug Wood, Jeff Allen, Julie Dickinson, Richard Tilley, Larry Clary, Donna Whitacre, D. R. Edwards, Cynthia Rosario
- Approval of September Minutes: Richard Tilley moved to approve the minutes; Doug Wood seconded. The minutes were approved by unanimous vote.
- Supervisor’s Report (Kelly Torres):
- Fountain. The fountain was shut off at its regularly scheduled time. We must request to have it left on for a longer period.
- Air conditioning: The Park received $2,300 for window units. While we still want central air conditioning, we should not pull the request back or we may not receive any air conditioning. We can still explore obtaining central air conditioning.
- Staffing: Whether the Park can keep George for landscaping is still an open question. He was great, and we would like to have him back.
- Cleaning: The Garden Club and Doug Wood have been doing, and paying for, much of the cleaning of the Park. We need additional assistance from the Park District landscape crews. Cynthia Rosario will be looking into this, and WPAC
will write a letter asking for this additional assistance.
- Recreation Leader: We are waiting and hoping for budget approval.
- Window Shades: They are coming soon from Home Depot for the middle rooms. We will obtain more next year for the other rooms. Thank you Cynthia Rosario.
- Field House Supplies: We are receiving supplies for Moms and Tots and Halloween.
- Bathrooms: The smell in the ladies’ bathroom will be investigated. We need to check the plumbing in both rooms. The men’s faucets need to be fixed.
- School Fair: This will be held in the Field House on Saturday.
- Treasurer’s Report (Nick Sommers absent): Jeff Allen presented a draft statement.
- Bear Bog: This is still a problem and needs to be fixed. Money is available. Repairs should be done by Spring.
- Parkway Foundations: No report.
- Committee Reports:
- Events: Halloween party for kids is going forward; WPAC member will contribute prizes. Farmers Market will provide 100 pumpkins for the kids to paint.
- Fountain: Lights celebration will be November 18 from 10-2.
- Thanksgiving Dinner: Various discussions of dates, attendees, source of turkeys, etc. Further investigation will be done over the next month.
- Christmas: Presents for the kids in after-school program will be discussed at the next meeting.
- Garden Club:
- No official plaque approval.
- 1,000 bulbs are coming in along with more bushes, etc. The Park District gave the Park 200 plants.
- Dog Park: This is not a WPAC committee; and those representing the Dog Park are out of town.
- Election of Officers: The following were elected WPAC officers by unanimous vote:
- Co-Presidents -- Denise Browning and Susan Fontana
- Secretary -- D. R. Edwards
- Treasurer -- Richard Tilley
- Note, Board Members are Julie Dickinson and Jeff Allen.
- The next meeting will be November 14, 2006, at 7:00 pm, in the Field House.