Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes
Date: November 14, 2006
Present: Kelly Torres, Jeffrey Allen, Julie Dickenson, Denise Browning, Larry Clary, Richard Tilley, John Shirk, Doug Wood, Susan Fontana, Patrick Humphries, D. R. Edwards, Cynthia Rosario
- Approval of October minutes: Larry Clary moved to approve the corrected minutes; Richard Tilley seconded. The corrected minutes were approved by unanimous vote.
- Supervisor's Report (Kelly Torres):
- Budget Update (air conditioning): The air conditioners are to be installed in the walls, not the windows. They will be installed in the spring. Central air is still being considered.
- Staffing update on new children's staff: Still an open question. CPD should announce the budget tomorrow.
- Window shades: On 11/2 a purchase order was sent to Home Depot, who misplaced it. Kelly Torres will follow up.
- Halloween Party: Went very well. The children decorated pumpkins and had a great time.
- Holiday and Winter Session in the Field House (through April): Events include Mayor's Sports Festival, GB House Contest (Doug Wood may pursue). Fliers for other events were passed out to be reviewed at the December meeting. Note: Outside permits start 1/1/07.
- Dog Park Signs Requesting Volunteers: Doug Wood will put up the signs seeking volunteers.
- Landscape Scheduling: Crews have been coming every day through the end of November. The Park had George through the end of October. Park is still hoping that he will be staffed full time.
- Capital Improvements: We should begin our list of needs for 2008.
- Treasurer's Report (Richard Tilley): Only $5.00 spent to change the registered agent of WPAC with the Secretary of State's office.
- Committee Reports
- Events (Susan Fontana): Thanksgiving dinner will be on 11/16 and will be intergenerational. Donors include Cold Comfort, Starbucks, Ann Sathers, and Alderman Flores. Volunteers include Pritzker parents, Urban Encounters, and neighbors.
- Fountain Court (Doug Wood): Letter from Tim Mitchell concerning the plaque is still open. Fountain decorating is Saturday from 10-2.
- Garden Club (Doug Wood): 15,000 bulbs have been donated. 15 landscape architects from around the country toured the Park and loved it all. City is considering a Model Park program based upon the Park.
- Playground (Julie Dickinson): Architect is working on the "Bear Bog;" it should be ready to go in 2-3 weeks. Repairs are being paid by WPAC, Ted Oppenheimer, and CPD.
- Other issues
- "Special Service Districts:" Susan Fontana suggested that this be pursued as a funding source.
- Christmas Party for children: Will be held on December 15 from 4-6:30.
Next meeting December 12, 2006 in the Field House.