Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 -
7:00pm to 9:00pm

Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Date: June 12, 2007

Present: Kelly Torres (Park Supervisor), Adam Housley, Denise Browning, Susan Fontana, Richard Tilley, D. R. Edwards, Sylvia Ramos, Elaine Coorens, John Shirk, Mark Lawton (Chicago Journal)

  1. April Minutes (D. R. Edwards). Ms. Ramos moved to approve the minutes; Ms. Coorens seconded. The minutes were approved by unanimous vote.
  2. Assorted topics:
    1. Window air conditioners are being installed.
    2. Lights around the Park have been turned off by the City.
    3. Some of the fountain electricity must have been shut off because some of the fountain’s functions are not working.
    4. Water source (buffalo box) in playground cannot be located. Is it under the concrete? CPD should confirm the location before any concrete is removed to expose the buffalo box. Mr. Torres will follow up with Cynthia Rosario.
    5. Renegade Festival is moving to Division Street and will not be held in the Park
  3. Dog Park (Adam Housley): CPD has put in the gravel. A fund raiser will be held 6/30 at 10:00 to raise funds for the fencing. Mr. Shirk’s group will assist with power washing in June and July. Trash cans should be moved to curbside for City crew to empty.
  4. Children’s Carnival (Sylvia Ramos): The event was a resounding success. Congrats to all involved including coordinators, contributors, food suppliers, volunteers, parents, schools, the Park staff, and everyone else involved. Suggestions for next year included
    1. adding more tents,
    2. adding more simple games,
    3. adding a bike safety table,
    4. training volunteers to run the moon jump,
    5. coming up with a plan (like dropping bricks) for locating and setting up the tables, and
    6. transforming this event from a children’s carnival into a fund raiser for gardening and other interests. These suggestions will be addressed in more detail during planning next year. It was agreed that the Carnival should again occur on the first Sunday that the Farmer’s Market is open.
  5. Supervisor’s Report (Mr. Torres)
    1. Recreation Leader and Attendants: These positions still have not been filled. (Wilson, who is quite good and appreciated, is on loan as Seasonal Attendant from Humboldt Park; George started as Seasonal Landscaper and then left after one week.)
    2. Park Money: Ms. Rosario did not attend the meeting; therefore there was no report on whether money paid for use of the Park actually comes back to the Park or goes into other CPD programs/parks.
    3. Kids and the Fountain: Children as well as adults continue to play in the fountain despite prior warnings. More signs will be put in place.
    4. Baths: Men’s room sink and ladies’ room toilet need to be repaired.
    5. Supplies: The Park needs more money for everyday supplies of toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
    6. Weekend attendants: Park needs 2 attendants on the weekends.
  6. Treasurer’s Report (Richard Tilley):
    1. Annual Report has been sent in to the Secretary of State.
    2. IRS forms are in and being processed. 501(c) (3) status is fine.
    3. Mr. Tilley distributed “register report,” which shows that the Children’s Carnival brought in $1,749.00 in donations and from the lemonade stand and raffles and that WPAC expended $564.13 in connection with the carnival.
  7. Banner: A banner is needed for the sign in front of the Park. Expenditure for the banner was unanimously approved.
  8. Movie in the Park: Ms. Ramos will look for a food vendor for this event.
  9. Oppenheimer Dedication (Julie Dickinson): This event was low-key at the family’s request and went well. Thanks to 7-11/White Hen for the donation of rolls and coffee. The public donated $75.00 during the event, of which $25 was paid to Ms. Browning and $53 to Mr. Wood as reimbursements for expenses.
  10. Garden Club (Susan Fontana):
    1. Ms. Fontana wants Pritzker School to donate free parking for Garden Socials; Ms. Ramos will look into this request.
    2. Ms. Fontana wants WPAC to help fund Mr. Wood’s activities in the Park. Ms. Ramos moved to provide Mr. Wood with up to $55.00 a month beginning in July 2007 for Park Kids Gardening and Art Programs. Ms. Coorens seconded. The motion passed by unanimous vote. Mr. Shirk moved to ask Ms. Browning and Mr. Wood what further financial support they might need in the fall. Ms. Coorens seconded. The motion passed by unanimous vote.
  11. Web Site: Ms. Ramos will contact Ms. Dickinson re who will be web master.

Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting will be July 10, 2007 at 7:00 p.m. in the Field House.