Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes
Date: August 14, 2007
Present: Kelly Torres (Park Supervisor), Doug Wood, Susan Fontana, Richard Tilley, D. R. Edwards, Adam Housley, Sylvia Ramos, Tim Koleke
- July Minutes (D. R. Edwards). Mr. Wood moved to approve the minutes. Mr. Tilly seconded. The minutes were approved by unanimous vote.
- Treasurer’s Report (Mr. Tilley). Mr. Tilley passed out a written report and noted that there was no financial activity since the last meeting.
- Dog Park (Mr. Housley). A shed has been purchased and erected by Mr. Housley and other volunteers. The dog park held a fund raiser at Kuma’s Corner, which was well attended and raised approximately $1,200. Thanks to Kuma’s Corner, which hosted and matched donations. The dog park committee is looking at different fencing designs. John Shirk and others have been helping with power washing. Garbage cans need to be moved to the curb. The Park has some extra pavers that could be used by the dog park. On movie night, the dog park committee may pass out some information.
- Park Budget (Mr. Wood). Mr. Wood passed out a revised proposed budget for the Park. He is seeking additional letters of support. The deadline is August 20.
- Chamber Festival (Ms. Fontana). Ms. Fontana had a follow-up meeting with Ms. Barrington and collected comments and suggestions for next year. Ms. Fontana took minutes of that meeting and will finalize minutes, comments, and suggestions.
- Rhyme Spitters (Ms. Fontana). Rhyme Spitters obtained their permit; will not be using risers or amplification; and will be providing their own security and clean.
- Fountain (Mr. Wood). Mr. Wood passed out a written financial report and design of the plaque.
- Garden Club (Mr. Wood):
- A pine tree is sick; CPD must decide whether to take it down. Charlie Miller, who is a certified arborist and who works with “The Care of Trees,” looked at other trees that may be old and in danger. Mr. Miller may also teach a seminar in Mr. Wood’s design class.
- The Garden Club had a social in June and will have another on August 12. These are fundraisers for Mr. Wood’s programs and activities.
- Fountain Court reception should be sometime in September or thereafter.
- Kid’s Art Program will be every Tuesday (younger and older children will alternate weeks). Lara Kastner from Around the Coyote will be the teacher. The art class students will also participate in Mr. Wood’s gardening projects.
- Mr. Wood does not need any of the funds that were budgeted by a resolution of this WPAC; therefore, no such funds will be withdrawn or used.
- Supervisor’s Report (Mr. Torres).
- Fall schedule was distributed.
- Park is still waiting on rec leaders. The Park is now two short. It is imperative that CPD fill the rec leader position before the Park Kids program begins.
- Seasonal attendant quit to go back to school and was not replaced.
- CPD has been asked to keep the fountain running until the end of October.
- Movie in the Park (Ms. Ramos). Mr. Taylor will call Cold Stone to see if they wish to sell ice cream. Mr. Wood moved that $300 of WPAC funds be used to pay for water, popcorn, etc., which in turn will be used to raise funds for the WPAC. Ms. Edwards seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. In case of rain, the movie can be moved into the gym.
- Web Master. Mr. Koleke volunteered to be the new WPAC webmaster.
Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting will be second Tuesday in September at 7:00 p.m. in the Field House.