Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 -
7:00pm to 9:00pm

Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Date: November 13, 2007
Present: D. R. Edwards, Adam Housley, John Shirk, Doug Wood, Susan Fontana, Richard Tilley, Denise Browning, Cynthia Rosario, Tim Kolecke, Sylvia Ramos, Nicole Sauler, Mark Lawton, Josh Taylor, Raymond Valadez, Kelly Torres (Park Supervisor)

  1. October Minutes (Ms. Edwards). Mr. Wood moved to approve the minutes; Ms. Ramos sec-onded. The minutes were approved by unanimous vote.
  2. Treasurer’s Report (Mr. Tilley). Mr. Tilley passed out a written report. Mr. Tilley also re-ported that he has managed to get the IRS to send correspondence to the correct address and that the IRS has confirmed that WPAC’s 501(c)(3) status is still good, that the 5-year report is “pretty good,” and that WPAC can file a simplified annual report in January. Thanks all around to Mr. Tilley for his efforts.
  3. Dog Park (Mr. Housley). There was a great turn out for the cleaning. The fence is almost com-plete and it is doing the job. Thanks all around to Mr. Housley and others for their efforts. Mr. Housley requested WPAC or the Park consider including the Dog Park in its corporate/501(c)(3) umbrella. The issue was tabled for further discussion or vote at the next meeting.
  4. Parkways Foundation/Benches and Urns (Mr. Wood): Benches are in and the urns will be delivered tomorrow. Someone put graffiti on a bench while it was being installed. Mr. Wood and Ms. Rosario will investigate obtaining graffiti remover from the CPD. There will be a party to celebrate the new installations in the spring when the fountain is on. Thanks all around to Mr. Wood for his efforts.
  5. Halloween for Park Kids (Ms. Edwards): Ms. Edwards reported that the party for the Park Kids went quite well, even though the City turned off the water due to a construction accident. (There was also a party for the small kids.) Ms Ramos suggested that, for next year, there should be a party for all neighborhood kids and that there should be no special parties or events for the Park Kids because they are not members of the community and only come to the Park to be “baby sat.” Ms. Edwards disagreed and suggested that a party for the entire neighborhood could be accommodated after 6 pm when the Park Kids program is over for the day. This issue was ta-bled.
  6. Budget (Mr. Wood): Mr. Wood passed out the budget that was published today. Another CPD budget meeting is scheduled for December 5. The Park received most of its requests; however, there appears to be an error with respect to omission of the Physical Instructor. Mr. Wood and Ms. Rosario will follow up. Thanks all around to Mr. Wood for his efforts.
  7. Thanksgiving for Community (Ms. Fontana): This event was cancelled due to a lack of contri-butions. Mr. Torres asked if WPAC could reimburse WPAC members for any costs that they in-curred. This was tabled for the next meeting and the presentation of any receipts.
  8. Thanksgiving for Park Kids (Mr. Torres): Ms. Fontana donated paper goods, the parents are donating food, Cold Comfort is donating turkey (thanks Cold Comfort!).
  9. Fountain Lighting (Mr. Wood): The Fountain Lighting will be Sunday from 10-?. The Wicker Park Garden Club and Care of Trees are sponsoring this event.
  10. Valentine’s Day Dance: Mr. Kolecke agreed to be project manager for this community event.
  11. Dog Tricks: Mr. Housley will consider being the project manager for this event.
  12. Web Page (Mr. Kolecke): The WPAC site is up and running. Mr. Kolecke described its many features (polling, volunteers, links). WPAC needs a newsletter. Thanks all around to Mr. Kolecke for his efforts.
  13. Supervisor’s Report (Mr. Torres).
    1. Rec Leaders: Bridget Jackson is back; and Norman Ocasio is staying on permanently.
    2. Seasonal Attendant: Mr. Jeremiah is still on board; the Park is trying to keep him on longer.
    3. Sundays: The Park is now open on Sundays from 8:30 to 5:00. This can be revised if neces-sary.
    4. Work Orders: Many (17) have been completed. The open posts on Schiller have been closed. Hope to get an answer by the weekend regarding keeping lights on near the fountain at night. Ms. Fontana will follow-up on this. Need a P.O. for more shades.
    5. Trash Removal: Working with the Landscaping Department for additional removal. Millie and Lou are on it now.
    6. Snow Removal: Blowers, salt, shovels, and supplies are ready to go.
    7. Garbage Cans: Ms. Rosario will check for additional cans.
    8. Drug Dealers and Drinking in the Park: These were addressed during the CAPS meeting and with the Alderman’s office. Known drug dealers are now staying away. On holidays, when there is no staff, the police must keep an eye out. Park Security cannot arrest, but they can call 911. Everyone should call 911 if they see drug dealing or drinking in the Park. In next year’s budget, we should include a request for a security officer and/or cameras. Can we ask how often the police come by between 10 pm and 5 am?
  14. Night Ministry (Ms. Sauler): Ms. Sauler from the Night Ministry attended the meeting and ex-plained what her organization does. Concerns were raised about patrons being in the Park after closing (11 pm). Ms. Sauler welcomed any input regarding another location or time.
  15. Banner : WPAC approved a resolution of up to $100 to be spent for a strip banner for the web site.
  16. Closed Session: Issue was tabled. Meeting was adjourned.

Next meeting will be December 11, 2007, 7:00 p.m. in the Field House.