ATTENDANCE: Art Richardson (Head-Central Region), Jeanine Otte (1st Ward Flores Staff), John Davidson (Park Supervisor), Susan Fontana (Co-President), Denise Browning (Co-President), Richard Tilley (Treasurer), Doug Wood (Secretary), Adam Housley (dog park committee), John Shirk (Urban Encounter), Toni Anderson (Park Kids Parent), Clintina Taylor (Park Kids Parent), Sylvia Ramos (Pritzker), Amy Knapp, Andre Perrin
PARK DISTRICT STAFF ABSENT: Cynthia Rosario - Area 2 manager (no report submitted)
- February Minutes were read and approved.
- Treasurer's Report - Richard Tilley submitted a report.
- Dog Park Report- Adam Housley - Over 100 people attended the For the Love of Dogs fundraiser event for the Dog Park. Two metal new benches with arms on the sides only - will be purchased, arrive in the park, and be installed in the dog park soon. More pea gravel is needed. Drainage issues were resolved with assistance from Jeanine Ottee, Alderman Flores Staff. Adam requested dog park photos and info on website.
- Soft Ball - Ryan Jackson Submitted Report Electronically. The report included the following information. The schedule was finalized with the field reserved by John Davidson.
- Sundays, May 3-August 23-10am-5pm (No games May 10 and July 5).
- Mondays, 6pm-8pm (No games May 25, July 6)
- Fridays, 6pm-8pm in July and August - Reserved for rainouts - in addition - Sunday August 30 may be used if many games rained out.
- Field status - John Davidson walked field and submitted landscaping requests.
- Incorporation - The Captains have submitted paperwork for incorporation as a non-profit - all players will sign waivers.
- Permit has been issued for the field.
- All 12 teams have been confirmed. Umpires have been contracted. Softballs have been purchased.
- Meeting - April 23 -6pm - All captains meeting- all welcome.
- OUTSTANDING Concerns: Inventory Equipment in field house. Bases can be used from past and left over softballs from last season. Box will be repaired. Ask Tim to upload schedule on Website.
- Website Update - Tim Kolecke - Website is being updated to include all sponsors, links, and Features of the park: fountain, Wicker Sculpture, Playground, Gardens, Dog Park, Softball, special events. A special News section has been added.
- Landscape - Doug Wood - A mulch day will take place on Saturday, April 25 - 9am-1pm. Mulch and tools supplied by Chicago Park District; volunteers from WPGarden Club and Property Consultants; early morning food and coffee - WPGarden; lunch food from WPBT businesses arranged by Property Consultants. NEW and pruned Trees Map was distributed by Doug Wood - negotiated with Barb Wood, arborist and staff.
- Plant Sale Fundraiser - Denise Browning reported that the annual fundraiser plant sale will take place Saturday, Sunday May 2,3 10am-3:30pm. Funds for gardens and education.
- Park Supervisor Report - John Davidson
- Submitted a report on events held and completed work orders completed since December 2008. This list included: Holiday Party (Dec 19), Valentine's Day Dance (Feb. 6), Park Voyagers Program (info since Feb), List of Museums represented, Spring Break Camp, Spring Class enrollment numbers, Seasonal Sports. A list of Teen Activities (Oct, December Jan, Feb, March, and June) was given. It was noted that 2 teens from the Wicker Park neighborhood participated in these events to date (before spring session) and that more would get involved due to the spring weekly teen class. Special June event - The National Dew Tour - teens from Area 2 will meet and interact with event coordinators and professional athletes that will participate in the up coming DEW Tours- held in Grant Park in late June 2009.
- Movie in the Park - Madagascar 2- Thursday, July 16, 2009 - at dusk
- Proposed Fall 2009 Session Classes - Jazzercise, Inc teaching Jazzercise and Martial Arts.
- Upcoming Events – Susan Fontana – Doug Wood - A Discussion of the preparation for the Chamber Fest held on Milwaukee Ave. (July 25,26) and Sound Czek (Aug 2) to be held on Schiller between Damen and Hoyne was presented. Details of the Sound Czek: bands, chefs, green technologies, associated with Chicago’s Farmer’s Market and held in 5 other cities. Doug and Susan are working on a greening segment to be held in the Park on August 2 at the music performance area – details to be worked out – it was suggested a rep comes to next meeting.
Meeting Adjourned - 8:40 PM