Present: John Davidson (Park Supervisor), Jason Zaffaroni (Park Physical Instructor), Thalia Solano (Park Physical Instructor), Susan Fontana (WPAC - Co-President), Denise Browning (WPAC-Co-President), Richard Tilley (WPAC Treasurer), Doug Wood (WPAC - Secretary and Garden Club), John Shirk (Urban Encounter), Adam Housley (Dog Park), Elaine Coorens (OurUrbanTimes), JoAnn Terry (Potential Exhibitor of Historic Artifacts for Children)
ARRIVED LATE: Lisa Stauff (Parent Park Kids Student), Allen Shepard (Parent Park Kids Student)
- Minutes - Doug Wood - March Minutes were read and approved.
- Treasurer's Report - Richard Tilley submitted treasurer's report.
- Committee Reports
- Dog Park Committee - Adam Housley – A Dog Park Cleaning Day is scheduled for Saturday, April 17 - 11am - 2pm. Water line to be repaired as weather permits-requested info from Cynthia on date of installation so dog owners could be informed-Rosario not present. Rats living under raised platform were discussed. Pea Gravel cleaning soon.
- Web Site Committee - Tim Kolecke - Not present and no report.
- Softball Committee - Ryan Jackson - Not present - sent email 'Nothing to report - except the group is on schedule and the season will begin Sunday, May 2. The group is taking off Memorial Day and July 4th weekends so the community can enjoy the whole park on those holiday weekends. Assuming minimal rain, the last weekend should be August 22. New lock box did not arrive.
- Gardens and Landscape Committee - Doug Wood
PORTABLE TOILETS - Toilet location is being worked out by Central Region Staff. John Davidson agreed to have staff open toilets each Saturday at 5pm and to have staff lock them on Mondays at 9am when they arrive. Toilet cleaning will be Mondays.
RAIN BARRELS ARRIVED and installed.
EDUCATION-Current: The Music Garden Class Going Well: The Children's Program - Park Kids Grow-Music Garden: 28students registered - 6 Teachers - Park District certified. The class is filled with 8-5yr, 3-6yr, 3-7yr, 5-8yr, 7-9yr, 2-11yr. Class held on Thursdays April 8-May 27 - 4-5:30. Funded by Parkways, FOTP, and WPGarden. Class composed of 10 students from Park Kids; 18 Students from Community-and-Other Neighborhoods
EVENTS - All WPAC members and Park Staff are invited to Assist-Participate - and - Enjoy
- Earth Day - Saturday, April 17- 10am-noon (WPGarden & Psycobaby) - Music Garden Children will help others plant seeds to take home and discuss Green Technologies. All WPAC welcome to help.
- Big Mulch Day - Saturday, April 24 - 9am-2pm - Need Sign in Waiver Form from Staff - Participant groups John -Urban Encounter, Josh-Missio Dei Chicago, Tom-Covenant Presbyterian Church, Kevin-Clemente, Eric-Property Consultants, Neighbors, Gardeners - 15 forks - 15 rakes - 8 wheel barrels committed by Chris Krieger-CPD - All WPAC welcome to find food and help with mulching.
- PLANT SALE AND WORKSHOPS - Saturday-Sunday-May 1 & 2 - 10am-4pm.
- ART CLASSES - Discussed the distributed letter from Danielle Klinenberg and Lara Kastner. He asked for volunteers to work on funding - No on volunteered. Concept - use survey to elucidate classes to offer - obtain funding from 1/3 (grants-donations) - 1/3 Park District (Andrews Letter) - 1/3 student fee.
- Outreach -Lisa Stauff - Park Advocacy Conference -9am-12-South Shore - March 27. Lisa reported that she and Toni Anderson attending the session and learned a great deal.
- Educational Programming - Survey Update - Clintina Taylor and Toni Anderson - Absent - no report submitted.
- Green Roof Report-Pigeons-Rats- Corner Damen-Schiller left unfilled - Susan Fontana - Brandon Daley has no updates. She initiated a discussion on various pigeon deterrents, rat feeding deterrents, and the need to fill in the curbing left undone – curb installed without backfill – on list for CPD trades and or city workers and or SSA.
- Collaboration Committee - Faces of Wicker Park - John Shirk - John is working with Elaine Coorens to complete liability waiver and permission to use artwork forms. Should be ready soon.
- Staff Reports - John Davidson, Jason Zaffaroni and Thalia Solano - Reported on 2010 Summer Camps and soccer camp. Camp expanded by 40 students who will use Pritzker School as a satellite location; 80 will be at Wicker Park. Summer is all about Cartoons-Summer Hawaiian Luau Party-food-excitement - Big Kahuna- Limbo. Movie in Park Planet 51; Cubs care begins. Concerts every month-dates-times-talent to be announced. Field trips abound.
- JoAnn Terry - Discussed options for showing her historic artifacts - tents - dolls - kids - referred to Bridget.