Present: John Davidson (Park Supervisor), Jason Zaffaroni (Part-time Physical Instructor), Tim Kolecke (President & Website), Scott Venable (Vice-President & Mosaic Church), Doug Wood (Secretary and Garden Club Coordinator), Denise Browning (WPAC & WPGarden), Susan Fontana (WPAC & WPGarden), Adam Housley (Dog Park Coordinator), Tyler Culligan (Magic Boat), Cory & Millie Minton (Missio Dei Chicago), Sam Anderson (Missio Dei Chicago), Tom Smith (Covenant Presbyterian), Danielle Albert (Church in the City), Elaine Coorens (OurUrbanTimes), Susana Sandoval (WPPA)
- Minutes - Doug Wood – February Minutes were read and approved.
- Treasurer's Report - Richard Tilley- Absent - Report Submitted via email.
- Committee Reports
- Dog Park Committee - Adam Housley – Adam the success of the Dog Park Fundraising event For the Love of Dogs -held at The Twisted Spoke, 501 N Ogden Ave Chicago, IL held Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 7:00pm - 11:00pm. He will submit report, photos, and donors for upload to the website. Spring Cleaning will be Sat. April 30 at 11am-1pm with the Big Mulch Day Event.
- Web Site Committee - Tim Kolecke – Tim reported on Web site updates and the uploading of the WPAC-Partners Events Series.
- Softball Committee - Ryan Jackson – Absent
- Gardens and Landscape Committee - Doug Wood, Denise Browning – Gardening in the Park scheduled to begin Sat. April 2, pending weathers. The Fountain seasonal decorations are to be removed on Saturday, March 12 at 10am-1pm, if the weather pemits. The educational programming has been well attended. Denise Browning stated that the March lecture is on the Bloomingdale Trail project and includes design elements and updates from the Trust for Public lands with Michael Wilkensen as Guest Speaker – from Wilensen-Blender Architects.
- Staff Reports – John Davidson (Park Supervisor) and Jason Zaffaroni (Part –time Physical Instructor)
- John Davidson distributed Summer Movies in the Parks fact sheet. He discussed the sold out Family Field Trip to the Chicago Wolves Games to be held March 19, 2011. Jason Zaffaroni discussed the school age individual and team sports. The teen programming was discussed. Teen night is hosted once a month during the school year at different field houses throughout Area 2 of the Central Region. The February event held 2/26/2011 was Snow Tubing at Villa Olivia in Bartlett, Illinois – 60 teens from Area 2 attended. The March event will be held 3/19/2011 – it is a behind the scenes tour of the Allstate arena and the Chicago Wolves Game. This event will be enjoyed by 70 teens from 2pm-10pm. The Park will host a special event – Meet the Easter Bunny on 4/23/2011 from 10am-12noon. Summer Camp registration (120 capacity) will be open on-line on 4/4/11 at 9am; in person registration will be held 4/9/11 beginning at 9am at the Field House. The summer camp theme is ‘Outer Space.’ John Davidson reminded the Advisory Council to submit the new officer’s names to Dana Andrews and circulated volunteer applications for all who work with children and/or collect funding for the Advisory Council programming. John Davidson announced that the Park District has scheduled a Mandatory Shut Down Day on Monday, March 7, 2011; this was announced at 6pm March 1. Recent service requests included: Activity room – Gym-Restroom repainting; Entrance way lights re-lamped; Light fixture replaced in activity room; leaking urinal in men’s restroom repaired; light fixture re-lamed in women’s restroom.
- Community Discussion on Park Events for 2011. Each committee submitted updates on Summer Events.
Doug Wood announced that the Friends of the Parks funded the Magic Boat Seed Grant for $800 and that we would receive the check in March. Movie Committee added new members. Currently the members are Tim Kolecke, Susan Sandoval, Scott Venable. The committee will review information on Park District distributed movies, view the list of movies that could be shown, obtain information on independently distributed movies, choose several for us to choose from and identify funding targets to obtain $625. Alderman Moreno has committed ½ of the movie fee $625 (Movie Fee - $1,250). All agreed to determine dates and titles shown in nearby Parks.
Each chairman is to work on site plan, think of options for promotions, determine methods to recruit volunteers, determine their list of target groups.
Doug Wood, Events chairman, will submit each event with dates, times, room requests, special opening times and requested equipment to John Davidson and other regional staff. He will then follow up with John Davidson on responses to requests, booking confirmations, and partnership confirmations.
Permits will be submitted to Park Services for Wicker Mic, Children’s Carnival, and BooPalooza. Doug will draft and then submit to chairman to review and add details.
Doug Wood will ask Dana Andrews these questions: Who must fill out a volunteer application with finger printing and background check? What are the rules for selling food and beverages? Who can omit the volunteer form and use the Day of Events Park District Waiver?
Doug Wood will pursue liability coverage for all groups and all events elucidating the Park District’s progress on Advisory Council full year liability coverage. This is to be discussed at the FOTP-Park District PAC Meeting.
Doug will work with chairman to identify their targets for funding and submit that list to Dana Andrews for approval.
New Business – Susana Sandoval and WPAC members discussed the West Town Chamber’s Green Music Festival.
Adjourned at 9pm