Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 -
7:00pm to 8:25pm

ATTENDED: Adam Housley (WPAC President), Richard Tilley (WPAC Treasurer), Dug Wood (WPAC Secretary), Denise Browning (Former WPAC President & WPGarden), Susan Fontana (Former WPAC President & WPGarden), John Shirk (Wicker Mic & Urban Encounter), Elaine Coorens (Our Urban Times), Jacob Moore (Magic Boat), Mike Payette, Diana Meyer (Schiller Neighbor)

  1. Minutes from November 2013 read and approved: Doug Wood
  2. Treasurer’s Report – Richard Tilley
  3. Updates & Planning
    1. Letter of support for Art Classes - The Council discussed, edited, and approved the Letter of Support for Christina Murphy’s Senior Watercolor Class. Doug will email her one copy of the letter for the alderman and one to use for a WPB SSA#33 Grant and to include in her Park District partnership documents.
    2. Security – New Camera & Inside Monitor Scheduled to be Installed in November 2013. Patrick Levar commented that the IT needs to be upgraded in the park before the camera can be installed. The group decided to set a meeting with Alderman Moreno to obtain his support to set a meeting with all security groups to define the level of support in detail for 2014. In addition, Patrick Levar clarified why the security guard was removed from the budget; all security guards are managed at a higher level. We should have the same weekly coverage and added weekend coverage – according to Patrick Levar.
    3. 2014 Festival Park Provision Planning Meeting. The council agreed to ask the alderman if he would assist with this meeting so that all provisions are set long before the events and that there is someone responsible to enforce the agreement on the day of the event. We lost about $800 last year on security for the GMF since the refused to install the Damen fence – decided the night before the event.
    4. Elaine Coorens agreed to work with the Alderman to set a meeting for us to speak with him.
    5. 2014 Events and Programming Planning Meeting. The council discussed setting the meeting for Tuesday, January 21 at 7pm; later was changed to Monday, January 27 at 7pm. All groups that had or may present events or programming are to be identified and invited. Before this meeting, Advisory Council members are to work on a draft of rules for all collaborating groups, including meeting attendance. This is to be discussed at January meeting.
    6. Waste Management – Volunteers have been assisting Park Landscaping to keep the grounds clean.
    7. OUI OUI – The toilet rental company insisted we owed $130 more than the amount paid. The amount paid was the amount sent to us in a quote by the Company. After one month of discussion, we received notification that the bill had been paid in full.
    8. FOTP Grant – We were granted $500 by Friends of the Parks to go toward purchasing stage units. We requested that the Park District agrees to not move them from the park, like they did with the power washer and the snow blower. This was requested in March, April, and May. We received no response – so, we will probably need to reimburse the Friends of the Parks $500.
    9. Garden Club discussed the success of the Fountain Decorating Social and the Family Fun Fest.

ADJOURN – 8:25 PM