Wicker Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 -
7:00pm to 8:25pm

IN ATTENDANCE: Adam Housley (WPAC President), Doug Wood (WPAC Secretary), Richard Tilley (Treasurer), Denise Browning (Former WPAC President and WPGarden), Susan Fontana (Former WPAC President and WPGarden), Mike Payette (WPAC Security Committee Chairman), Elaine Coorens (Our Urban Times), Joe Sawicki (Softball Teams), John Shirk (Urban Encounter and Wicker Mic)

  1. Minutes – April Minutes Read and Approved – Doug Wood
  2. Treasurer's Report – Richard Tilley submitted a report. Elaine Coorens had compiled several reports from the report file and distributed them.  Richard Tilley stated that he would like to resign.  Adam Housley will speak with Aaron Cauble, WPAC member from Church in the City, to see if he would take on the task of keeping the books.
  3. Park Supervisor Report – Clare Rodriguez Absent due to Special Olympics
  4. REPORTS
    • Dog Park – Adam Housley – Everyone is aware of the dog flu and there have been various opinions about closing or keeping the dog park open during the period of wide spread illness.  In general, the consensus was to ask people to be responsible and keep sick animals home.  The dog park cleaning day went well and the dog park was disinfected.  The power washer did not work and was taken to Richard's garage to be repaired by Adam, et.al.
    • Softball – Joe Sawicki – The season started on Sunday, May 3 and all went well on the first day of play.
    • Security Park and Fests – Mike Payette – Mike went to the CAPS meeting and will meet with Alderman Moreno, Clare and Doug to discuss:
      • Clare has no access to cameras,
      • IT does not work regularly in the park,
      • How to retrieve a tape after vandalism occurs?
      • When will the 14th District police have access to the park's cameras?
      • Who is the go to person for Clare and Staff since Joe has left?
      • What can be done to ban the sex offender from the park?
      • Who will fund the $1,500/festival for park security?
      • Mike suggested we meet with Erik Haman to discuss.  The group decided it was best to ask the alderman to negotiate the support.
    • Landscape & Plant Sale – Denise Browning, Susan Fontana, and Richard Tilley – The annual plant sale fundraiser will be held Saturday and Sunday May 9 and May 10 from 10am – 4pm.  Volunteers have been recruited and promotions have been underway for weeks.  Adam reported from Scott that New City Church would assist.
    • Website –Doug Wood reported that Tim Kolecke has done an excellent job at uploading programming.
    • Outreach – Doug Wood said the Parks Foundation has asked us to work with other parks to assist them with their advisory council – the parks are: Washington Square, Eckhart, Margate, and Margaret Donahue Parks.  He also set up a meeting with representatives from Christy Webber Farm and Garden Center to access their level of support to the gardens and events.  He noted that on Sunday, June 7 from 9am – Noon we'd like to promote all summer events. He reported that on Sat. June 13 - Central Region Human Trafficking Awareness Walk-a-thon would take place beginning at Smith Park, moves to Commercial, then to Wicker -  9:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. table 11:30-12:30
    • Ice Rink-Doug Wood reported that the committee meetings were well attended and that they were working to determine a Park District project manager and then present a power point that included: survey results, budget, layout, time table, fundraising options, and volunteer support for ad sales and installation and maintenance of the rink.
  5. New Business -  None

Adjourn at 8:25pm